Thursday, January 08, 2004

Saturday 27th December 2003, Day 105/273 - San Francisco, California.

Went and hired another car for an adventure on the highways of northern California. Today we got a Chevrolet Impala with a column shift and a bench seat up front, now that's my impression of an American car.

We drove out over the Golden Gate Bridge stopping off on the northern end for a beautiful photo opportunity. Pretty bloody marvellous if you ask me.




On the drive up route 101 we were able to stop at an IHOP to introduce my parents. We didn't leave a tip. Not because we're tight or through bad service, but due to a misunderstanding. I feel like a fugitive. We'd better get out of this place before they send the California Highway Patrol and the local Sheriff after us.

We carried on towards Calistoga, out through the 'Valley of the Moon', stopping at the worlds largest petrified forest (apparently)! I had no idea what to expect, but yet again I've learnt something new. Basically it's about volcanic activity that has buried giant redwood trees and kind of fossilised them. Some of the trees are thousands of years old and have been buried for 3.2 million years and now look like rocks. I've no idea where they got the'r dates from, but that's what they said. I guess similar happened back home, but in our case it formed coal.



Having walked 0.4 miles around the worlds largest petrified forest we carried on up the trail to an 'Old Faithful Geyser' (not THE 'Old Faithful Geyser', that's found in Yellowstone National Park). Apparently it's one of only 3 in the world. It's another natural phenomenon and caused by volcanic activity. It's a strange thing to witness. It's like someone turns on a tap. The spurt lasts for about 30 seconds and occurs at regular intervals. I expected there to be a huge whoosh, lots of noise and a rumbling coming from the earth, but no. Still fascinating.






Read in Ali G stylee


We drove back through the famous Napa Valley stopping at one of the numerous wineries for wine tasting and to listen to some bloke spout about bouquet and which type of grape he uses. Would I show my class if I said 'Just drink it'. If it tastes nice buy it, unless its more than $5 a bottle.



On the advice of the wine spouter we stopped at the 'Culinary Institute of America' and viewed their corkscrew collection, no really! It was a lovely building.

We made our triumphant return to San Francisco over the Bay Bridge having completed a successful loop.

I'm sharing a room with my parents at the moment. The last time I did that was in 1991 (I was 16), we were on holiday in Mallorca and it was a nightmare. I spent my whole time trying to get away so I could smoke a fag. This time it has been cool, partly because I'm not a snotty teen anymore (I've grown up a bit), but mainly because it's nice to see them.

One thing that never changes is my Dads early morning routine. No matter what time he goes to bed he always rises early (before 7, even on holiday), carries out his ablusions (including Vitalising his hair). Once that's done he arranges the coffee and fetches the biscuits (always 2 (never more) are placed on everyone's bedside table). He'd be polishing his shoes by now if we were at home.

"Nothing like a routine, Eh Dad"

"If you have a routine then you never forget anything."

Wise words.