Thursday, January 08, 2004

Monday 22nd December 2003, Day 100/273 - San Francisco, California.

Sent a ration pack to 'Da Howards'. I asked my Mum to bring out some English goodies for them to thank them for looking after me and to replace the Hob Nobs I stole. As ever she came up trumps. It was a palaver sending them with the heightened security and it being Xmas. I think they thought M&S breakfast tea contains Sarin or something.

We then went in search of Vitalis hair lotion for my Dad. Apparently they've stopped selling it in the UK and my Dad swears by it. He says it gives him confidence and when you see him slick his hair with it you wonder (I mean 'can see') why. Now all he needs is some Brut 66 and the ladies will come flocking.

We then took a cab over to the wharf again. It's a bit of a stomach churner going over the hills in a high speed cab being driven by a boy who's Mum probably still ties his shoelaces. The driver also displayed his outstanding geographical knowledge.

Boy:- 'So where you from then?'
Bloo:- 'England'
Boy:- 'Oh, is that anywhere near the UK?'
Bloo:- 'Quite close'

Of course he'd never held a passport either.

I'm glad that in the 2 days that my parents have been here I've been able to display the real American people. We've seen the beggars on the streets and the squalor that they live in.

We're still really struggling to get out to Alcatraz. There computer system is down as a result of the power cut the other day. So we wandered down to pier 39 which is really cool. Right down at the very end is a colony of sealions living in the wild. It's fascinating to see them in a free environment. They are playful, but argue with each other over space to sleep on top of the floating pontoons. They make a loud snorting noise. It all reminds me of sleeping in a hostel. No sign of any beachballs balanced on noses.










Big news in America today is an earthquake in San Simeon, about 150 miles south. We drove through there last Friday so that was a bit of a close shave. Apparently you could feel the tremors all the way up here, but I just think it was my Dad's snoring.

So we've had an exciting time since we reached San Francisco. Day 1 - Power Cut, Day 2 - Terrorist threat, Day 3 - Earthquake. What's gonna happen tomorrow?