Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Saturday 24th January 2004, Day 133/273 - Portland, Oregon.

Woke up feeling rather chipper, which surprised me when all things are considered.

I took a walk up to the Rose Garden in preparation for the Harlem Globetrotters tonight. I was really very excited about it which is a little sad. I was so excited in fact that I was right at the front of the queue when the doors opened at 17.00. Even before all the young kids. We were ushered in, I didn't know why, but it turned out I got to meet globetrotter Cedric Moody.


Bloo and Cedric Moody

I asked a guy to take my photo. He said 'Where you from?'

"England" came my reply.

"Oh, I went to England once when i was in the Navy." he said "I can't remember the name of the place."

"Plymouth"

"Yeah, that's it."

"How unfortunate."

Anyhow we all got to watch the University of Basketball before the doors opened properly at 18.00 for the start of the game at 19.00.

The Harlem Globetrotter's took on the New York Nationals as they do every night. It was well rehearsed and good fun as they took the mick out of the Nationals, the referees and the crowd. They've got some awesome skills and great names like 'Showtime', 'Boo', 'The Shark', and 'Showboat'. My favourite was Eugene 'Killer' Edgerson and when you see his picture you'll see why. It's great entertainment especially for the kids.


Eugene 'Killer' Edgerson

I had a really good seat for $17, but I did get ripped off for a T Shirt ($22) and programme ($5). I was happy for some reason. I guess it's because I've now done something else that I always wanted to do.



The Rose Garden

Commenting on Harold Shipmans death, Wakefield prison governor said he would be missed by the prison boxing because he had "a lethal jab!"