Monday, January 19, 2004

Saturday 17th January 2004, Day 126/273 - Seattle, Washington.

Feeling very rough. I really shouldn't drink anything other than Carlsberg or Fosters. No in fact I just shouldn't drink.

I did manage to finish book 13. Bill Bryson's - 'The Lost Continent'. I'm so glad that I wrote my thoughts on America before I read the book. He says exactly what I've been trying to say, but so much better. He absolutely cracks me up when he writes about the road system and his struggles to read maps. How they can miss important details like rivers and junctions, when in England our maps even detail churches. You must read his account of how the battle of Gettysburg panned out, no in fact just read his books now.

The last 3 taxi drivers that I've had have been from Somalia. They have been through some pretty trying times and have managed to escape to America. I'm sure it's a positive nirvana for them, but I would be moaning my luck. In my dorm there's a guy from Ethiopia. It turns out he's 17 and was brought to the US by a doctor who brought him up after his father died when he was 11. They settled in the Bronx and have had a falling out so Joseph did a bunk and is heading for Alaska to find a job in fishing. He spent yesterday in the strip club, spending $100 in the process. 'Man those girls really love you' he says. It's sad that this kid who has obviously been forced to become old before his time, but is so blatantly naïve in the process. I guess I always knew that people like Joseph existed in the world, indeed he's probably one of the luckier, but it is distressing to meet them and realise there isn't anything I can do for him. He's realistic to know that he needs an education if he is to succeed in America and has his faith that he believes will see him through. I hope he gets through it all okay.