Thursday, January 08, 2004

Wednesday 24th December 2003, Day 102/273 - San Francisco, California.

Going in search of a hairdresser for me, a book for my Dad and somewhere to have a traditional Christmas dinner.

The haircut was easy. There are loads of hairdressers and I had my most thorough haircut in America (only my second) by a nice Chinese lady who didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I'm lucky I didn't end up with a bowl cut. At least I can do away with the hat for a while.

My dad's book was a slightly harder proposition. We found a decent bookstore, but he took longer deciding what to read than what he will spend reading it. He plumped for 'Master and Commander'. Yep the one that's been made into a film staring Russell Crowe.

By the way, I know you don't care, but I've finished my 10th book. I read 'Around Ireland with a Fridge' by Tony Hawks on Mr H's suggestion. Very funny, though I don't think I'll be following in his footsteps, especially having sex in a dog kennel.

The Christmas dinner was an altogether different proposition. A lot of restaurants are closed on Christmas day. However most of the hotel restaurants are open, but are just serving there normal menu.

After another Reevesey special wild goose chase around San Francisco we eventually found a nice French restaurant that was doing roast turkey and all the trimmings for $60 each. It would have to do.

We ended up in a typical America bar talking to a typical American talking about a typical American subject. His first question 'What do you think about Tony Blair?' I think they think that Tony Blair is some kind of deity because he backed them in Iraq. Now I don't have any particular problem with that, but I do have a problem with him forgetting that he's also got our country to run. Of course to Americans the only issues are American. This guy couldn't get his head around the terrorist issue and the heightened security. When I likened it to our problems we've had in Ireland he laughed and said that this is different. Why because now it affects Americans?

When we got back to the hotel it turns out that they are putting on a Christmas menu tomorrow. Wouldn't you think that your own hotel would be the first place that you ask. Well it was. We asked yesterday and they said they weren't changing their menu.

We went to a Chinese restaurant for dinner. Well the hotel we are in is right in the middle of Chinatown. We had a nice meal, but I'm only telling you this because we got fortune cookies.

Mum's - the fun side of a relationship begins to unfold.
Dad's - your ability to believe has created an upcoming dream - come true.
Mine - You will be a dragon of creative fire this week. Watch your aim.

I have no idea what any of that means. Answers on a postcard.