Thursday, January 08, 2004

Friday 26th December 2003, Day 104/273 - San Francisco, California.

Hit the sales in search of a bargain, not sure why as there's nothing I particularly need. I did however come away with a new pair of walking boots and jeans courtesy of my parents.

We then walked down to the Embracedero area, an area on the bay that was rebuilt after the big earthquake in 1989. It's a little market area and you get a great view of the bay bridge. It helps that we're enjoying the best weather day since we've been in San Francisco. The sun makes a big difference in the overall appearance of a place.

We then walked back up to Pier 39 and did the tacky souvenir trail. Despite strong competition from my mum I think I won the tackiest souvenir competition. Her collection of hanging cable cars for the Xmas tree and plates were no opposition for my 'Alcatraz Psycho Ward Outpatient' T Shirt.

After that we did a tour of the World War 2 submarine the USS Pampanito for $7 (unless you're over 62 for some reason and then its only $5). The sub was bigger than I expected on the inside from what it looked like on the outside, although I think my Dad was still pleased that he choose Army life rather than the life of a Submariner.