Thursday, January 15, 2004

Monday 12th January 2004, Day 121/273 - Placerville, California.

Another early start as I got a lift to Sacramento with Tim on his way to work. He dropped me off at the park and ride and I caught the light rail into the State Capitol ($1.50), the home of Arnie or the Governator as he is known in these parts.

My 1st job was to arrange the next leg of my trip to Seattle. I hadn't been on the train yet and the station was nice and central so I went and enquired about that. $69 coach class, one way, for the 800 odd mile trip, which I would consider a bit of a bargain. There is only one train a day and that departs at midnight and takes 18 hours.

That booked I took a walk down to old town Sacramento. It was like walking into an old wild west town. It was only about 8 blocks worth but they had the original buildings from the gold rush in the mid to late 1800's. It was like walking through a timewarp, apart from the noise from the freeway that separates old Sacramento from new Sacramento.

No shops or museums open until 10.00 in America. It seems like a much nicer and more humane way to live.

I ended up in the California State Railroad Museum for no other reason than I was cold and had 7 hours to kill. It's not because I'm a spotter. I'm not into trains, but this is a good museum. It was very informative and all for $4. Again there were numerous staff on hand, who for them it was a hobby rather than a job.  They enthused about the role that a certain carriage played in the history of America. The railroad played a vital role in the construction of America and was important to the economy.  It was through the railroad that trading between the states really took off. It's a shame they haven't felt the need to keep the infrastructure up to date. The railroad is really not a great way to travel around America anymore. For Americans it is now a novelty to travel by train.

I went for a burger in Johnny Rockets. I thought I'd better try one before I leave America as they claim to be the original hamburger joint. It was a diner style restaurant, but the burger was stodgy, greasy and horrible. Not a huge burger fan and I've had better at football match's. It should have been called 'Johnny Rottens'.  You can find them all over the US.

Made my way back to the park and ride where I met Tim.

News of the day. You may remember that I told you the story of the 13 year old amateur surf champion who had here arm bitten off by a shark in Hawaii. Well she entered her first competition since the attack ................................................. and placed 5th.