Thursday, January 15, 2004

Thursday 8th January 2004, Day 117/273 - Salt Lake City, Utah.

Happy Birthday Pam!

When I checked in the receptionist asked me if I wanted a cold or a hot room. I opted for cold as I prefer to be too cold as opposed to too hot. What the receptionist meant was would you like arctic or sauna. My god it's cold. It was so cold that I had to christen my sleeping bag. Dukie's will appreciate how cold. Remember having to wake up and you just knew how cold that wood floor was going to be, but you knew you had to step on it and when you did it took your breathe away. Well it was colder than that. The good thing was I had the dorm to myself. I guess I'm the only mad one.

I did the tourist thing of wandering around the sites taking photos of all of Salt Lakes nice buildings. Basically all the ones of interest are to do with Mormons, Brigham Young, Joseph Smith or the Olympics. I made a move into Temple Square where the Mormons are happy to show you around the Tabernacle etc., but I'm afraid to say I bottled it and stayed in the relative security of the sidewalk. As soon as you pass through the gates, it's as if you're honey and they're bees. They come at you from all angles. I got some snaps from the outside, but they've all got a 10 foot wall in front of them. You can't help but be impressed by the buildings. The people frighten me, but that's due to a lack of knowledge on my part.

Finished book 12. It was only wickle. 'Lance Armstrong - A Biography' by Bill Gutman. Short and to the point. A real American hero, no in fact just a big bloody hero. If you don't know Lance's story shame on you.